Life can change in an instant when you or a loved one are harmed by someone’s carelessness. Beyond the pain and suffering you experience, the mounting medical bills, financial setbacks and stress can be overwhelming. That’s why it’s important to work with an experienced personal injury and civil litigation lawyer that can help get the compensation you deserve. Attorney Larry Desilets has been providing people in the Framingham MA area vigorous representation for more than 40 years.
To win a judgement in Massachusetts, the courts require that you prove the other party acted carelessly or recklessly in some fashion. There are several ways this can be accomplished and a lawsuit will rely on these key factors.
- Negligence: This is a very common reason for a suit. It’s based on the other party’s failure to act or carelessness. It can include things such as distracted driving.
- Comparative Negligence: In terms of winning a judgement, the courts weigh each party’s contribution to the loss. It’s imperative to prove that the other party was at least 51 percent at fault to win a civil lawsuit.
- Recklessness or Intentional Actions: When someone causes are harm with purpose or disregard for others, punitive damages may be sought.
- Strict Liability: This is a common approach to bring suit against owners of aggressive dogs that bite or companies that distribute products that cause harm.
- Damages: The Commonwealth of Massachusetts allows for several types of damages. These include special damages, lost wages, medical bills, disability and scarring among others. Punitive damages maybe awarded in extraordinary circumstances such as wrongful death.
Car and motorcycle accidents rank among the top causes of injury and loss. Although Massachusetts is a no-fault auto insurance state, it’s surprising how many times carriers try to deny or underpay claims. And, when losses exceed the limits of your coverage, filing a suit against the negligent party or their insurance company may be needed. Either through experienced claim negotiations or a civil trial, we’ll fight to get you fair compensation.
Another common way that people suffer injury is due to a slip and fall. Hard impacts cause broken bones, soft-tissue back injuries and traumatic brain injuries, among others. When property owners fail to clean slippery surfaces and leave debris in pathways, it’s fundamentally unfair that you should suffer pain, lost wages and medical bills. These injuries can also affect your quality of life, mobility, ability to earn and require long-term rehabilitation. That’s why you need an experienced personal injury and civil litigation lawyer on your side.
Attorney Larry Desilets has been providing vigorous representation from beginning to end for over 40 years. If you or a loved one have suffered a loss, call today for a consultation.